Friday, February 18, 2011

Tea & Your Heart 2: Tea as a Social Activity

February is American Heart Month!  All month we will be talking about ways tea is an important part of maintaining a healthy heart.  Last week we spoke briefly about the physiological benefits of tea, today let’s take a look at all the how tea is an important social activity and how that relates to your heart health.
        Earlier this week we talked about a great trip we had to Upstairs on the Square in Cambridge, MA.  Much more than simply a trip to a tea room, it was a chance to spend time with old and new friends.  Even more than the tea and treats, it is that time with friends that will stay with me afterwards.
        I started Bliss Tea out of the joy and comfort I always got from sharing a pot of tea with my mother and discussing EVERYTHING.  That time has always been precious to me as a chance to relax and share all my cares and concerns with someone I love.  It was the tea that helped to always bring us together - I or she would get a new tea variety and we would immediately find an excuse to get together “for tea”!
        So what does all this have to do with a healthy heart?  Well, there is ample scientific evidence that having an active social life is important for staying healthy.  Getting together with loved ones and spending time with friends is an important component to lowering stress levels and feeling connected.  .  Stress causes the body to release all kinds of nasty chemicals, raise cholesterol levels, blood pressure, unhealthy behavior, etc. all of which relate back to a healthy heart!
        For me, sharing a cup of tea has always been an important part of my life, mostly because it was a chance to sit quietly with someone, share something calming, relaxing and healthy and talk about life.  It has always helped me stay grounded.  So if I could share any piece of healthy advice this month, it would be this: brew some tea, invite over a friend or loved one and just spend some quality time.

No comments: